73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Wed 9-8:30,Thurs & Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-1
Strafford Guards Drilling
Strafford Guards drilling in Central Square in 1862.
May 7, 1898
The Strafford Guards left Dover for Concord to be mustered into the United States Army for service during the Spanish-American War. After they were mustered in, they became the First Regiment, N.H. Volunteer Infantry. The unit never left the country and they were mustered out on October 31, 1898.
From Dover, N.H.; People, businesses, and organizations 1850-1950 by Robert Marston, 2004.
see also http://www.dover.lib.nh.us/DoverHistory/strafford_guards.htm
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.