73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Wed 9-8:30,Thur-Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-5
Strafford County Courthouse
6-10 Second Street
Following the city hall fire of 1889, county officials built this brick courthouse, completed in the Spring of 1890, for $30,000. Houses on this site were moved to new locations on First and Second Streets or torn down. The courthouse featured offices for all county officials and judges, and a 300 seat courtroom on the second floor.
An annex was built in 1947-48 and some
problems with quicksand were encountered during this construction. This facility
was used until 1974 when the new Justice and Administration Building was
completed. It is now privately owned.
From the 1984 Heritage Walking tour booklet
Justice and Administration Building
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.