73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Wed 9-8:30,Thur-Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-5
Moses Paul House
114 Locust Street
This house was built for Mr. Paul who
became agent of the Cocheco Manufacturing Company in 1843. He was an ardent Free
Mason whose life was one of continuous progress and accomplishment. His Masonic
activities mark him as one of its outstanding leaders. Moses Paul Lodge,
organized in 1889, was named after him. The house was sold to Bennis Foss,
Jr. around 1870. Mr. Foss bought a flax mill at Dover Landing which became a
lumber mill. His son, Alonzo Foss, (mayor in 1893-95), added the trimmings and
the bay windows which are believed to be the first ones in Dover. Many houses
were similarly modified during the Victorian era.
From the 1980 Heritage Walking Tour booklet.
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.