73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Tues 9-8:30,Weds-Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-1
The Morrill Block on Franklin Square
Joseph Morrill (1796-1871) built this four-story wooden building between 1870-74. Its more famous occupants included D. Lothrop and Company, pianos, organs & sewing machines and Lothrop's & Farnham's.
A fire January 3, 1932 razed the building and wiped out 26
businesses. One of Dover's most devastating and spectacular fires, the blaze
required fireman from as far away as Haverhill, Massachusetts, and burned so
hotly that the sprinkler system in the Strand Theater was set off. The current
two-story Morrill Building was rebuilt shortly thereafter.
From the 1984 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet.
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.