73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Wed 9-8:30,Thur-Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-5
90 Stark Avenue
The large white colonial home on Stark Avenue was named Middlebrook Farm about 1900 when Governor Charles H. Sawyer and his family retired there. Originally built by farmer Caleb Hodgdon who owned several hundred acres of land in this area, the farm was inherited by Governor Sawyer's wife, the former Susan Cowan (Caleb's great-granddaughter).
Charles Sawyer had served as president of the Sawyer Woolen Mills since 1891 but had sold the company in 1899. The farm, which extended from Watson Lane to the present location of Hoppy's Store and back to Middle Road, seemed an ideal estate for a retired magnate and former N.H. governor. the Sawyers had lived previously at 2 Central Avenue (between Dunn's Tavern and the Bellamy river; house torn down ca. 1967) but having no further reason to live so close to the mills, moved happily to Stark Avenue to start a dairy.
Middlebrook Farm was a large supplier of
the county's milk during the early 1900's. After Charles's death in 1908 and
under the guidance of his daughter Elizabeth, the farm was well managed and
prided itself on using the most scientific methods of feeding and production.
During the mid-1940s, bovine disease struck the herd and all the cows had to be
destroyed. By 1948, the estate became Green Pastures Rest Home. It is currently
and apartment house.
From the 1988 Heritage Walking Tour booklet
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.