73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Wed 9-8:30,Thurs & Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-1
John Guppy was born in Portsmouth on July 13, 1768. When he was less than one year old his father bought the house at the corner of Portland and Oak Streets from Captain Heard. The house was built in 1690, and became known as the Guppy House. His youngest son, Jeremy Belknap Guppy, was a farmer and lived all his life in the Guppy House. He never married and died on March 16, 1917 at age 85. He left the house and land to the city of Dover. The land became the site of the Guppy Park.
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.