73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Tues 9-8:30,Weds-Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-1
Ezra Green House
37 Silver Street
This house was the site
of Dover’s first Post Office. Dr. Green came to Dover in 1768 and lived in this
house. He was Dover’s first Postmaster and dispatched mail from here to the
White Mountains and all over Southern New Hampshire. He later served as a
surgeon under John Paul Jones on the frigate “Ranger”. In 1779 he came back to
Dover and married Sussanah Hayes and built a home for his bride at 79 Silver
Street where he died at age 101, 1 month and 10 days.
From the 1979 Heritage Walk Tour Booklet.
79 Silver Street
The house originally had a colonial roof which was replace by this mansard roof. Later owners changed the roof back to the original colonial style.
79 Silver Street with a colonial roof
This is the
earliest house in this area, built circa 1780 by Dr. Ezra Green, who bought the
lot from Parson Jeremy Belknap who lived next door until 1787. In 1775 Dr. Green
joined the New Hampshire Regiment in Charlestown, Massachusetts, Returning to
Dover he switched from doctoring to tavern keeper and retailer, built this house
and proprietor of the largest and most profitable store in Dover. He lived here
until 1847 and raised 13 children.
From the 1980 Heritage Walk Tour Booklet.
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.