73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Wed 9-8:30,Thur-Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-5
Whitcher's Falls Bridge
Donated by Robert Marston
The second falls of the Cochecho River (six falls in all) was known as Whitcher's Falls or Whittier's Falls Whittier's mills, consisting of a fulling mill, grist mill, and a building for dressing cloth, once stood at the easterly side of the Tolend Falls. Their name was derived from Obadiah Whittier, whose widow still owned them, January 7, 1718, when they were destroyed by fire, which broke out in the carding mill, operated by Moses Whittier, son of Obidiah, who at once erected new Machinery and resumed the carding, fulling, and clothing business, the following month.
From Mary P. Thompson's Landmarks in Ancient Dover.
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.