73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Tues 9-8:30,Weds-Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-1
St. Thomas Episcopal Church
St. Thomas Episcopal Church located on Central Avenue
With the coming of the Industrial Revolution to Dover in the early 1800s, the town’s population increased substantially (from 1700 during the Revolution to 2800 in 1820) and this increase brought members of other faiths into the community, among whom were the Episcopalians.
The first services of the Protestant
Episcopal Church were held in February, 1832, at the Great Falls, with the
permanent establishment of the church taking place in 1839. Prior to the
erection of their first church, services were held in the old Court House and
later in what was then the Belknap School on Church Street. In 1840 land was
purchased and the first St. Thomas Church was built on the corner of Central
Avenue and St. Thomas Street, the street being named after the church. In 1891
the church was torn down and the present structure, designed by the famous
Boston architect Henry Vaughn, was built next to the home of William Hale.
Stones collected in the Durham fields were used in the tower and a quarry near
Rochester supplied the granite. The new church was opened for use the first
Sunday in September, 1892, and dedicated the following year.
From “Dover, New Hampshire, 350th Anniversary Commemorative Book 1623-1973”, 1973
Current St. Thomas Church, located at 5 Hale Street
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.