73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Wed 9-8:30,Thurs & Fri 9-5:30, Sat 9-1
Charles W. Sawyer Post G.A.R. Marching
The Dover post of the Grand Army of the Republic marching in 1893. The location is believed to be Beacon Hill.
May 17, 1869
The C.W. Sawyer Post GAR was founded by ten men who met at Merrill’s Hall. The ten men were: C.H. Adams, Jr., J.T.S. Libbey, William H. Trickey, M.C. Lothrop, George E. Foot, James A. Thompson, Frank Valley, George W. Littlefield, C.F. Spurlin, and Robert H. Mathes. The post was named for Major Charles W. Sawyer who died from wounds received at the battle of Drury’s Bluff on May 16, 1864. J.T.S. Libbey was the first commander.
They disbanded January 3, 1930.
The recent death of the Commander, Flavius Wentworth, left only four members of
the organization. All articles of a historic nature were turned over to the
From Dover, N.H.; People, businesses, and organizations 1850-1950 by Robert Marston, 2004.
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.